Knitting In The Round, Week 1: Knitted Socks, Hats, Bags, Animals and More. Monday, September 29, 2014
(Detail) Madonna Knitting, by Bertram of Minden 1400-1410. Source.
This morning, our Waldorf School of Orange County craft group gathered to knit a plethora of projects in the garden outside of The Company of Angels store. Click here to see week 2 of our knitting get-together.
Our handwork teacher Christine Newell prepared knitting needles, yarn, patterns for any skill level and taught us how to knit in the round, which is a Waldorf curriculum Grade 6 project. Everyone chose their different projects at different skill levels. Projects included:
- Knitted socks with four No. 8 knitting needles, Worsted weight yarn.
- Knitted bag, which will then be felted for added strength, fuzzy texture and to secretly hide stitching faux pas! You will need 3 bulky yarn, 2 plain, 1 multi. Number 11 or 10 1/2 round needles. Bag size is large -24 inches. Size can be adjusted for a child. Christine shared with us Amanda Silveira’s free knitted bag pattern here, printable version is at the bottom of her page.
- Knitted animals, pumpkins, shawls, scarfs, infinity cowls, et cetera.
- Knit-A-Square for charity. WSOC Parent Association/Liz Wenger needs our help to knit 1000 8 inches squares by January 23, 2015 for African children in need. Please all come and help. Click here to see our Knit-A-Purlooza in the Daily Pilot newspaper.v
September 29, 2014. Yet Another Sunny Monday Morning in Costa Mesa, California.
I am adding a feature at the bottom of the page where I highlight the works of some members of our community. This way, we can can be the support for one another! Please scroll to the very bottom of the page and see what our very own Justine Arian has to offer! Please E-mail me if you want me to feature you. My e-mail is: Jzinius@yahoo.com.
Gallery of Past Projects from Our Waldorf School of Orange County Monday Morning Craft Group
Please think also of craft group projects you will like to make or see offered, as our craft group donations for our 2015 Waldorf School of Orange County annual gala fundraiser. It’s still early for May 2015, but it’s good to give ourselves plenty of time. E-mail me, if you have ideas: Jzinius@yahoo.com. You know if it’s up to me, it will be another playscape set or puppet show set!
Some Snap Shots from Today
I was only able to stay a few minutes before taking my son Vi to the doctor. Here are some photos I managed to take.
Knitting in the round, 4 needles: Christine’s knitted socks. Look the cherimoya fruit is getting bigger on our fruit tree!
1000 Knitted Squares For African Children by January 23, 2015
Can you help us knit 8″x8″ squares for a child in Africa? You can pick up supplies and place your donation in the front office basket. If you need help/want to learn to knit, come to craft group Monday mornings for assistance.
The Waldorf School of Orange County Parent Association organized its first annual knitting for charity program. This year our squares will be donated to the nonprofit organization, Knit-A-Square, who assembles squares into blankets for African children in need. Our goal is 2000 knitted squares by January 23, 2015! More information on how you can help: Liz Wenger Knit-A-Purlooza Flyer.
The beginning of our stash…
Knit-a-square for orphans in Africa. Your handwork will hug them with love!
You may pick up supplies and drop off your finished squares in the front office. This project ends January 23, 2015. You may direct your questions to Liz Wenger or view Knit-A-Purlooza Flyer.
Many Knitting Projects to Choose From
Christine brought many great knitting books for us to choose our projects. Sophie considered knitting a little piggy.
Kathy claims that she is new at knitting. Her chosen project today is knitted and felted bag. Look at her even and gorgeous stitches on her blue bag handle! When her bag is completed, she will felt this knitted bag to add sturdiness. Here is Amanda Silveira’s free knitting pattern as shared by Christine: Click here, printable version is at the bottom of her page.
I particularly LOVE this book…
Oh! Tonsured Franciscan monks working in the garden! Who could resist that? The Knitted Garden by Jan Messent, on Amazon.com
Be still my pounding heart! Excerpt from The Knitted Garden by Jan Messent
Christine suggested we make another knitted garden this year for our upcoming Waldorf School of Orange county fundraiser 2015. What do you think? Let us know! Click here to see our 2012 Spring Knitted Garden Fundraiser by craft group.
One of the fans of Castle of Costa Mesa is the incredible Sachiyo Ishii. Look at her upcoming book (out in November 2014). I can’t wait to get a copy! Perhaps we will knit this for our Waldorf School of Orange County 2015 Gala craft donation?
Don’t throw that label away, it comes in handy for Halloween!
On Tuesday, the day after craft group, I asked Kathy what we did on Monday and she said “Oh, you’ve gotta check out the bag that this gal made, she really knows what she’s doing.” Luckily, I managed to photograph Melissa’s knitted T-shirt yarn bag yesterday…
Little ones making new friends as the adults knitted.
My Needle-Felting Pad today
October 3, 2014. Have you experienced one of those sleepless nights when everyone in the house refuses to be sleepy? Here’s my latest wool picture to celebrate those nights. Needle-felted Picture Night Music on Etsy.
Details of the above.
Click on the photo below to view our activities from last week:
Schedule: Upcoming Monday Morning Craft Group Projects
If there is a craft you really like to do, please tell Christine, perhaps she may be able to add that into our schedule.
- October 6, 2014. Knitting continued: Knitting in the Round. Knitted socks with 4 needles – or – Knitted bag, pumpkins, Knitted and felted bag in the round. Christine also has many small knitting projects for beginners, such as knitted animals. Liz Wenger needs our help to knit 1000 8 inches squares by January 2015 for charity. Please all come and help. Christine will provide knitting needles, yarn, patterns for any skill level. Bulky yarn can be purchased from Company of Angels school store here. Just come and knit. If you choose socks project: No. 8 knitting needles, Worsted weight yarn. If you choose knitted and felted bags: 3 bulky yarn, 2 plain, 1 multi. Number 11 or 10 1/2 round needles 24 inches. Bag size large. Size can be adjusted for a child.
- October 13, 2014. Columbus Day/no school, no craft group.
- October 20, 2014. Dry/Needle-felted Mouse in a Pumpkin House! (Grade 6 curriculum) This will be a very popular craft, be sure to come! Click here to see last year’s gorgeous work!
- October 27, 2014. Basket weaving (Grade 9 curriculum). Rectangular basket woven with flat reeds, holds 2 wine bottles. Last year craft group made round baskets.
- November 3, 2014. Complete basket weaving.
- November 10, 2014. Dry felted Christmas Trees.
- Not craft group but school-wide event: Saturday, December 6, 2014 – Winter Festival 2014. Click here to see last year’s magical event. Christine is preparing for our Elves Workshop this year and need all the help she can get. Please let her know if you can help craft little treasures for the children!
- October 11, 2014. Marionette workshop at Maple Village School, Long Beach, California. Please let Christine know as soon as you decide to come, so she can prepare enough supplies for you.
- November 1, 2014, Saturday. 10am-2pm. Introduction to sewing machine class at Waldorf School of Orange County. Sign up sheet will be in the Company of Angels store. Class size limited to 10.
Upcoming craft group project: Mouse in a Pumpkin House! Christine’s grandson, Jack made this pumpkin mouse-house below last year when he was still in Kindergarten!
Josephine made this mouse-house below last year at craft group. Click on the picture below to see photos from craft group last year.
October 11, 2014 Marionette workshop at Maple Village School, Long Beach, California. Please RSVP Christine so she has time to prepare supplies!
Please check back to see updated schedule, or look on door of Company of Angels for craft group schedule.
Jzin’s Etsy Store, Castle of Costa Mesa
Framed Guardian Angel, on Castle of Costa Mesa Etsy store.
My Hansel and Gretel, available on Etsy.
Here’s a little kite boy in the morning sun, donated on Monday to Miss Snow White and Rose Red often ran about the forest alone and gathered red berries, and no beasts did them any harm, but came close to them trustfully … More on Etsy.
My Art Website: JzinTeng.com
Check out my art website: http://www.jzinteng.com/
Please “Like” my painting facebook page, so you will see my upcoming artworks. Thank you for your support of my passion! – Jzin
My painting of Queen Vashti savoring the mixed tastes of hubris, indignation and sweet mortal defiance against her monarch-spouse who reigned above her. My model was Vanna Mae. More on my art website.
Gallery of Past Projects from The Waldorf School of Orange County Craft Group
Be in the know for upcoming handmade giveaways: Like CastleofCostaMesa.Com on Facebook
I give away my lovingly handmade dolls and crafts seasonally. If you “Like” my Castle of Costa Mesa Facebook page, you will be notified of upcoming giveaways. Click here to view the list of my past giveaways. Perhaps the next winner could be YOU?
Support Our Local Waldorf Community/ Place a Free Ad
If you are interested in placing an ad on “Support Our Southern California Waldorf Community” (free if you are a member of Southern California Waldorf community) please e-mail me a good picture and a link. If you would like a free shout out for any special events or offer, let me know as well. Time permitting, I will toot your horn.
Meanwhile, please support our local peeps! Thanks! – Jzin
Special Offer from Our Community:
Please support Justine Arian, my friend and member of our Waldorf school community:
I am offering a 6 month personalized life coaching program for people who are motivated to make changes in their life. (This is available for those who are local and also international). It is especially useful for people who are in transition of some kind; relationship, business, personal, etc. or people who are wanting more from their life.
Throughout the 6 months we will explore your values and how they are being expressed in your life, identify meaningful goals and create a plan to accomplish them, look at what blocks you from realizing your goals and reaching your true potential and unleash your personal power to live a life that matters and is joyful and so much more.
I am offering a no cost consultation to anyone who would like to experience coaching and see how it can make a difference in their life. Contact Justine Arian at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
Special limited time offer of half off my normal fees until Friday, October 3rd, 2014.
You may set up for a consultation/laser session with me here: Clarity Coaching Lazer Session.
Motivational Speaker and Author
Empowerment Coach, Creator of the Empowered Birth Method™
Certified Feminine Success Leader & Personal Renewal Group Facilitator
Cell. (310) 864-5884
Justine’s Websites & Links:
*Claim your free gift here: http://www.ThePregnancyCoach.com
Connect with me:
Click here to jump back to the top of the page. Whee!